Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Patriot Act Debate - Gingrich vs Paul

Well this is unfortunate. Ron Paul and Newt Gingrich debate the Patriot Act in tonight's debate. I agree with Paul's position, but Gingrich gets the best of him, in my opinion. The use of Timothy McVeigh undermines Paul's argument, but the Patriot Act would not have prevented the Oklahoma City bombing. If we are serious about the War on Terror, we will pay for the judicial oversight to issue warrants and supervise the executive branch's prosecution. This doesn't have to be an either/or proposition. My objection to the Patriot Act is the unsupervised powers given to the executive branch. Some of the powers granted were already available, they just required warrants, so the Act seemed like a sneaky way to expand government power.

2 comments:

  1. I disagree, I think Paul held his own for the majority of the debate. Newt excels at the one liners, but that will only get him so far. I was happy to see Paul getting to speak as much as he did. his ideas really stood out against the rest of the mob.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, thanks for that report. I only saw that clip, I didn't see the whole debate.

    ReplyDelete