Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Occupy the Mall?

The Drudge Report alerted me to the latest "occupy" plan, to Occupy Black Friday. I cruised over to their Facebook page to find this unhelpful rant:
This Black Friday, we will boycott all of the corporations that corrupt our government, and put profits before people.

Any holiday shopping we do this day will be at independent shops to support local economies and the 99% as a whole!
How do I figure this out? I guess I'm supposed to look up which of my shopping destinations are publicly traded corporations. Guess I'll have to buy that copy of today's Wall Street Journal after all.

So who do I notice has "liked" their Facebook page? Usual suspects, Al Jazeera English, and Noam Chomsky, Bernie Sanders, . For real? This is mainstream? Obama wants to hook up with such a movement? At a time when his only real chance of re-election is a miracle in the economy, he's down with interfering with shopping? Not that it will make much difference. My money is on the following outcome, 99% of the stores in America don't even notice the campaign, while the media focuses on and glorifies some minor impact at the 1% of stores who get a few protesters.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds to me like you got punked. Even if it was serious.

    Did you watch this night's debate? RP did a good job. I like Huntsman too.

    ReplyDelete