Sunday, February 13, 2011

Too Much CPAC

I'm low on blog topics today, because I spent too much time pouring over reporting and analysis of the recently concluded CPAC. I came to the same conclusion as MacBeth "And then is heard no more: it is a tale Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing." I quoted extensively from Mitch Daniels speech yesterday at CPAC, but the straw polls and all the other hoopla and analysis strike me as neither predictive nor prescriptive.

It reminds me of B-Daddy's Book of Management Rule#2: The commodity in shortest supply is management attention. Better to pay attention to the key problems and issues and not fritter one's time on asides. Especially, when that frittering results in no blog output. Which brings me back to Mitch Daniels. I think his real strength is that he recognizes what is important. He has a great record on abortion, for example, but thinks today is not the day to push that issue. Not that abortion isn't important, but is it more important than the debt and regulation strangling the country? I think not. Further, not all victories come purely from the ballot box, and it occurs to me that abortion is an issue best won over the long haul by creating a climate whereby it becomes morally repugnant. But the debt and regulation issues can only be solved through the legislative and executive processes.

Even the President appears set to announce budget cuts, even while he promises "investments" in green jobs, shiny trains,... snooze. We'll see how he does. For his own political survival, he needs to produce something, or he is destined to a single term. Unfortunately, he might pull off re-election.

By the way, have you ever noticed that the technologies loved by the left seem to constrain our choices?

1 comment:

  1. B-Daddy: Of the people at CPAC, Mitch is definitely my "pick of the litter!" I look forward to discussing the results of CPAC with you at the Beer Summit. Perhaps the SLOBs can have their own straw poll?

    PS. HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

    ReplyDelete