Saturday, January 31, 2009

Weekend Music Chill

When I was growing up, Pops always had an eclectic variety of music on the stereo: classical, country and western, and folk. (No rock and roll for him.) I wasn't aware of it at the time, but many of the folk singers we heard in our youth were pretty much lefties, Woodie Guthrie, Pete Seeger, Joan Baez, and Cisco Houston to name a few. Didn't seem to harm me much, as I grew into the libertarian leaning conservative and otherwise fine upstanding citizen. I was particularly fond of some of Ian and Sylvia's tunes, especially V'la Le Bon Vent (and yes Paul, you ultra-rightist, I took French in high school.) I couldn't find Ian and Sylvia's version of that tune on YouTube but I came across a group called the McDades who rock! So here are the McDades with a traditional French-Canadian chanson à répondre (a round).

4 comments:

  1. Getting folked-up on Saturday mornings at the compound was a mixed-bag for me.

    Dug Dylan but never took a liking to the others like Ian and Sylvia and Roger Whittaker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also liked Ian and Sylvia. You can select them as a "radio station" on pandora.com and one of the selections that comes up is "V'la L'bon Vent" from their Four Strong Winds album.

    ReplyDelete
  3. B-Daddy,
    No need to apologize. I had two years of Spanish in grade school and two years of French in High School.

    ReplyDelete
  4. B-Daddy,
    No need to apologize. I had two years of Spanish in grade school and two years of French in High School.

    ReplyDelete